Monday, October 3, 2011

Pumpkin Cookies with Maple Frosting



Fall has finally arrived! It happens to be my favorite season, not only because of the cool crisp weather, but the wonderful flavors that remind me of it.

Like pumpkin!

Earlier this week I attempted to make a maple pumpkin fudge but that post will NOT be making it to the blog. I botched that recipe completely. Not once, but TWICE people. First batch was maple pumpkin gloop, second batch was a maple pumpkin brick. Both inedible. It was quite pathetic. I will sum it up to say I'm not a candy maker.

I moved on from the fudge and made a cookie using the same flavors since I still had most of the stuff on hand.  I found this recipe on Glorious Treats, one of my favorite baking blogs. I made these for a dinner party I had with some of my girlfriends and they got such rave reviews, I made two more batches a few days later.




These pumpkin cookies have a cake like consistency with hints of cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. What really makes them stand out is the maple frosting. I could hoover a bowl of it in one sitting. I adjusted the recipe from Glorious by using a little brown sugar and pure maple syrup instead of extract.

I think you should fill your cookie jar with these. I may come over and steal some if you do.


Pumpkin Cookies:


3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (use slightly less if fresh ground)
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, slightly softened
2 cups packed light brown sugar
2 eggs
15 oz can of pumpkin (1 1/2 cups)



The How To:

1. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices in a medium bowl and set aside.

2. In a mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar on medium speed until fully blended and slightly fluffy. Mix in eggs and beat. Add pumpkin, raisins and vanilla and continue to mix until well blended.

3. Add flour mixture, and mix until combined.

4. Chill batter in fridge at least 15 minutes (this will help the cookies from spreading too much while baking).

5. Scoop batter onto lightly greased cookie sheets using a cookie scoop, or a large spoon.

6. Bake cookies in a preheated oven at 375*F for about 12 minutes. Cool a few moments on the baking sheet, then transfer to a wire rack. Frost cookies with Maple icing (below) while still slightly warm.




Deliciously Addictive Maple Icing

4 Tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter (salted or unsalted)
2 cups confectioners sugar
2 Tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon pure maple syrup (or you can use maple extract)
1 tsp brown sugar


While the cookies are baking, melt butter in a small sauce pan or in the microwave. Mix melted butter with powdered sugar in a large bowl, using a whisk until well combined. Add milk, vanilla extract and maple flavoring. Whisk until smooth. Use a small knife to spread icing on top of cookies. If you frost the cookies while they are still just slightly warm, the icing will dry with a nice smooth finish.



Yumm.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment