Monday, January 9, 2012

Mini Cheddar Herb Breads with Goat Cheese Frosting

Remember those cookies I posted yesterday? They're already GONE.
One day was all it took. (I ate 12. Oh my god.. I ate 12!!)

I wanted to switch gears and share a "savory" cupcake recipe. Everyone knows I love to make cupcakes and I have had several friends request I try a savory one. Finding a good recipe for this was harder than I thought. When I found this one on Eat Drink Pretty, the recipe seemed pretty easy to tackle and it was!




It's a cheddar herb bread topped with a little goat cheese "frosting". I tweaked the recipe just a tad and added oregano to the herb roster. Rosemary and parsley are two of my favorite herbs to cook with so I knew this bread would be a winner. These would be a great companion to a soup or chili you're having for dinner. Just warn people they're NOT sweet before they bite into it :)

Since I made these, I have come up with several savory cupcake recipes I hope to try soon. Be on the look out!


Cheddar Herb Bread "cupcakes"

2 cups all purpose flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp oregano
1 tbsp parsley
1 tbsp rosemary
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup unsalted butter (cold)
1 egg
1/2 cup shredded cheddar


The How To:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a mini muffin pan with liners. Mix the first seven ingredients (flour through salt) in a bowl.

With a pastry blender (or using your hands), cut in 1/4 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the cheddar cheese. In a bowl combine 3/4 cup milk and 1 egg, slightly beaten. Add to crumb mixture all at once. Stir quickly with a fork to moisten. Drop a tablespoon of the dough into the prepared mini muffin pan.

Bake 15 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes (really watch the baking time, you don't want them to dry out!)



Goat Cheese "Frosting"

1 contained goat cheese crumbles (room temp)
1 teaspoon parsley
2 tbsp milk
1 green onion or scallion (optional)


Let the goat cheese crumbles come to room temperature. In a bowl, mix the goat cheese, parsley and milk until smooth consistency, add more milk if too thick. Put the goat cheese in a ziplock bag and snip the corner with a scissors. Pipe the goat cheese onto the fully cooled cupcake and top with a slice of scallion.



 
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment